- All Artificer workshop training moved to HMS Sultan circa 1996. Workshops disbanded HMS Collingwood
- Operator Maintainers recruited as Operators (rather than Maintainers). Not suitable for maintenance (the words I heard are not suitable for print). Change is afoot with Engineering Technician
- Whilst the WEM(R) and WEM(O) status changed to OM the Artificer line continued and the OMs became tool bag carriers and even that proved a little difficult.
- The term Mechanician ceased to exist 1980s sometime although training continued but end product were also called Artificers
- Marine Engineering (L) were responsible for Power/Generation/Distribution etc.
- By 2006 the name Artificer finished (see Engineering Technician Training Group (ETTG) - Pillar Block And Brunel Annex ). All become Engineering Technicians with a mix of ashore and onboard training
- Caveat: This is from Colin Bushell’s and others memory and therefore the facts may be a bit skewed. Needs to be verified by serving members